Rules of Demo Derby
Preble Demolition Derby
August 25, 2011 - Show time 7:00 P.M.
Gates open at 3:00 P.M. - Regestration at 3:30 p.m.
Gates close for car entry at 6:00 p.m.
SHARP - NO EXCEPTIONS
RULES AND REGULATIONS - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- 1. Each and every driver is required to fill out an entry blank.
- 2. Derby officials may accept or reject any and all entries. Entries not accepted will be notified.
- 3. No car will be allowed on the track prior to the heat which it is to participate.
- 4. Intoxicating beverages, or the use of such are prohibited prior to or during the event. Any violators will be disqualified, including car and driver.
- 5. Derby drivers and their crews are not employees of the PREBLE Fire Department, but are independent contractors.
- 6. The last moving car making contact with another moving car in all events will be officially declared the winner.
- 7. THE DECESION OF THE JUDGES AND DERBY OFFICIALS WILL BE FINAL.
- 1. Driver must be 16 years old, have a valid driver’s license, and must have a notarized minor’s release signed by parent or guardian if under the age of 18.
- 2. Only one entry per driver, per CLASS. Entries are not transferable. NO REFUND WILL BE ISSUED TO DRIVER OR CREW MEMBERS IF CAR IS FOUND ILLEGAL.
- 3. An entry must accompany every car.
- 4. Any driver and/or crew member(s) disobeying the rules will cause their car to be disqualified.
- 5. Feature qualifiers may drive a car other than the one they qualified with provided that the substitute car has already been run in a heat that night.
- 1. A time limit will be announced by derby officials. If a driver does not hit another moving car within the time limit, the will be disqualified.
- 1. Derby officials reserve the right to inspect any and all cars in the contest at any time.
FULL CAR REGULATIONS
- 1. Any 1980 or newer, front engine, hard top automobile or station wagon is allowed in full size classes, no trucks, Jeeps, or carry-alls.
- 2. Seat belts, approved helmet, long pants, and eye protection are required.
- 3. All glass including windshield, doors, headlights; tailgates, mirrors, etc. must be “removed” not broken and laying in the doors. The car must be swept clean of all dirt and loose piece. All this work must be done before entering the pit area.
- 4. Fuel to be gasoline only, no alcohol. Only tanks permitted are STEEL boat tanks or STEEL fuel cells and must be mounted to the floor and secured in the area o the back seat or over the rear end and suitably covered. “GAS TANK PROTECTORS” (not frame protectors) may not be more than 26” wide and must be at least 4” from rear sheet metal. Rubber and steel lines can be run under floor-boards. Rubber lines inside the car must be run inside another hose. ALL FUEL LINES AND TANKS WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE INSPECTORS! Vehicles requiring electric fuel pumps must have operational fuel pump kill switch. All original tanks must be removed.
- 5. Bumpers MUST BE STOCK APPEARING. You may add any material to the INSIDE of the bumper and may use any year bumper in the full size class. No trailer hitches or other reinforcements are permitted. Cutting fenders and bumpers for wheel clearance and/or restriction of steering is permissible. Bumpers and bumper shocks may be welded (no added steel) to frame and may be chained or bolted (chain or bolt may be welded to frame ahead of core support). Bumpers may not be flipped over. Car bumpers only, max. 22” and min. 15” from bottom of bumper to the ground. No chaining up or down any suspension or welding to any support.
- 6. All doors must be wired, chained, or a maximum of three 3” x 4” (or smaller) plates per vertical door seam may be welded to secure all doors. Drivers door may be welded solid with up to 3” strap and must also be reinforced w/ bar. Driver’s door must be painted white and must have ROOF SIGN 18” TO 24”.
- 7. A FOUR POINT cage may be installed consisting of one dash bar, one 3” max bar behind the seat, and one door bar per side. The dash bar MUST BE STRAIGHT WITH NO KICKERS and must have 6” clearance from bar to distributor protector. Door bars may only be mounted to body at the dash area or to dash bar and to the door post. One 6 x 12” mounting plate per side may be attached to post only. Seat bar may extend a maximum of 12” behind front door post and be no more than 15” above lower inside door seam. An optional seat bar without a four-point cage may be installed conforming to above “seat bar” specifications. No roll bars.
- 8. Hoods may be held down with up to six double strands of maximum #9 wire, sheet metal to sheet metal only. Hood must be open for inspection. Hoods must cover fan blades and transmission coolers. Hood safety latch must be removed. Hood hinge bolts may be up to 3/8”. There must be a minimum 12” hole in hood above carburetor. Trunk lid must be attached to factory hinges at factory location, front half must be above drip edge, back half may be folded down but not folded in half (doubled over). Trunk lid (or tailgate) may be wired maximum 5 places double strand or welded 5 places 3” x 4” flat steel or ½ rod. If no tailgate or trunk lid is used you may not use wire or wield! If trunk lid is folded down, a 12” hole must be cut. There MUST be clear view inside trunk area! Trunk lid must be able to be opened. NO TUCKING OR WEDGING.
- 9. All chrome and decorative ornaments must be removed from the outside of the car. Protruding fenders or sheet metal must be cut off or bent over.
- 10. The battery and wiring, may be moved rearward of the firewall. One battery only, maximum size group 31, must be fastened down through the floorboard and suitably covered.
- 11. Radiator must remain in original location and filled only with water. “No radiator protectors”.
- 12. Cars must have brakes before the beginning of the heat.
- 13. Any vehicle visibly leaking fuel will be disqualified.
- 14. Any tire is permitted, may be doubled, no studs, screws, or wheel weights. Maximum five lug wheels and axels. Valve stem protectors are allowed.
- 15. Stacks are permitted but must point up or down, NOT FORWARD OR SIDEWAYS. Air cleaner is mandatory.
- 16. Transmission coolers must be in front of firewall. No engine oil coolers.
- 17. Bar or wire in windshield area is MANDITORY up and down, SHEET METAL TO SHEET METAL ONLY.
- 18. Suspension jack screws (twisty jacks) or other material may be used but MUST HAVE TRAVEL with effort of one inspector. Where applicable leaf and springs must be equal to or less than factory stock. Rear shocks must be “working factory manufactured shocks”. No coill to leaf conversions.
- 19. Body bolts may be changed to maximum ½” bolts with 3” washers and may not extend to bottom of frame, minimum ½” spacers (material of your choice) between body and frame. Core support spacers minimum ½ and maximum of 3” x 3” x 3” tall and may not be welded to frame or core support. Core support bolts may not extend through top of core support or be excessive in length. A maximum of 4 double strands of up to #9 wire may run from core support to front bumper. No added bolts or welding sheet metal.
- 20. No frame swaps, no welding to frame except for engine and bumpers. A maximum of two links may be welded, one chain per side, max. weld 3” per side, to frame for motor mounts. No dropping of any front or rear frame. Any rust repair will be no more than 1” overlap and will be AT THE OFFICIALS DISCRETION, CALL FIRST! When installing an old style rear-end under ‘98 and up models weld just enough for the 4 rear-end brackets. Brackets may not be welded in any way that strengthens the car.
- 21. No full skid plates, oil pan and transmission plates may be used. Rear-end housing braces may be added but may not strengthen or be used to brace frame in any way.
- 22. No undercoating or painting inside the car, under car, frame, or any suspension parts.
- 23. Distributor protectors will be at the discretion of the officials. None wider than the top of engine, none down the sides of engine, and no chains
- 24. All entries must have roof sign 18” x 24” minimum and may not be used to strengthen car.
- 25. You may alter steering
MINI CAR REGULATIONS
Same rules as full size apply with exception of the following:
- 1. 105 ½ inch wheel-base maximum.
- 2. Maximum of 6 cylinder motors.
- 3. Any year allowed.
- 4. DOT tires only, no studs, screws or wheel weights, may be doubled.
- 5. No tucking or wedging.
STOCK CLASS & PODWER PUFF REGULATIONS
Same rules as full size apply with exception of the following:
- 1. Any year car allowed.
- 2. Maximum of 12 ply tires. NO doubles, v-treads, paddle tires, etc. allowed. Tubes are allowed. No valve stem protectors, studs, screws, or wheel weights.
- 3. Welded rear ends are allowed, no rear end changes.
- 4. No motor swap: GM to GM, Ford to Ford, etc. Motor type to be correct for car and factory stock appearing.
- 5. No gear higher than 308.
- 6. No Distributor protectors.
- 7. Bar behind front seat or cage, see full size rule #7.
- 8. Bumpers to be same manufacture (GM on GM, Ford on Ford, etc.) and must be correct for body style of the car. Must be in stock location, stock hardware, no welding or wire on bumpers.
- 9. Driver door may be welded and have safety bar. All other doors must be wired or chained. Driver’s door to be painted white.
- 10. No altering or reinforcing steering components or drive train.
- 11. See “Car Regulations” for battery, gas tank, hood, and door requirements. Trunk to be wired with maximum of 6 double strands #9 or smaller wire.
- 12. You may notch or pre-bend rear frame. No pre-bending, tucking, or wedging of trunk area.
- 13. No stacks allowed.
- 14. Original shifter only.
- 15. Does not have to be factory key start.
Mid Size Class
- 1. 105 1/2 to 120 in Wheel Base. 4 or 6 CLY motors only. FRONT WHEELS DRIVE ONLY. Domestic and Forien cars allowed. Build to bone stock rules.
FIGURE 8 RULES
- 1. Any year, front engine, hard top automobile or station wagon.
- 2. Follow big car safety regulations (battery, gas tank, bar in door, etc.)
- 1. Drivers may mover forward and backward. There will be not hitting on the driver’s door. This may result in disqualification.
- 2. You must stay in your car. Do not leave your car unless you are told to do so by a derby official and the red flag has been displayed or the checkered flag given. Leaving your car amounts to disqualification. If an emergency arises during any event, all cars must be removed to allow emergency equipment to operate, then cars return to their original position to restart the heat.
- 3. Additional safety regulations may be imposed at the time of the derby to conform with conditions of the track.
- 4. Any vehicle visibly leaking fuel will be disqualified.
- 5. No sand bagging. This will be enforced.
PROTEST AGAINST WINNING CARS ONLY
- $50 protest fee must be submitted at the time of protest to a derby official. If the car being protested is found illegal, the party protesting will be returned his $50 fee. The protest must state the nature and area of the car under protest. DERBY OFFICAILS WILL INSPECT PROTESTED CAR WITH THE PERSON FILING THE PROTEST. DERBY OFFICIALS DECESION WILL BE FINAL!! Derby officials can protest any car for written or verbal violations without protest fee.
Any questions concerning rules and regulations, call Dan Elzey (260) 565-3601.
- PREBEL DEMOLITION DREBY OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
- DRIVER’S UNDER 18 MUST COMPLETE FORM BELOW
Please check mark appropriate line:
- _____ Big Car Entry $25.00
- _____ Mini Car Entry $25.00
- _____ Bone Stock Entry $25.00
- _____ Midsize Class $25.00
- _____ Powder Puff Entry $ 25.00
- _____ Figure 8 Entry $25.00